LVUSD Internet Web Site Policy
DISTRIBUTION: All School site webmasters, Offices, posted on all district web site "main" pages
LVUSD Internet Web Site Policy
DATE: January 15, 1999
For further information, call 818-878-5248
The Internet, a network of networks, allows people to interact with hundreds of thousands of networks and computers. All connections to the Internet by Las Virgenes Unified School District (LVUSD) students or employees are subject to the LVUSD's Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).
Access to the Internet allows connections to computer systems located all over the world, users (and parents of student users) must understand that neither the District nor any LVUSD employee controls the content of the information found on these external systems. Some of the information may be controversial and may even be offensive to some individuals. Teachers or other school personnel should ensure that connections to the Internet are used in a responsible, efficient, ethical, and legal manner, and such use must be in support of education and research consistent with LVUSD's educational objectives.
ACCEPTABLE USES OF THE INTERNET INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
- conduct research
- communicate with other Internet users
- explore other computer systems
- post information for access by others
- create and maintain a personal, school, or office web site
UNACCEPTABLE USES OF THE INTERNET INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
- Violating any state and/or federal law (i.e., copyright laws).
- Violating the California Education Code.
- Using profanity, obscenity, or other language that may be offensive to other users.
- Making personal attacks on other people, organizations, religions, or ethnicities.
- Harassing another person (i.e., using the Internet in a manner that bothers another person and not stopping when asked to do so by the other person).
- Sending or posting false or defamatory information about a person, group or organization which might injure the reputation of that person, group, or organization.
- Not respecting the privacy of a person by posting personal contact information, such as, work or home address, telephone, e-mail address, photographs, or names, without obtaining prior permission from the person affected.
- Student information (as above) may be posted ONLY WITH TEACHER AND PARENT PERMISSION, when this is necessary to receive information for instructional purposes.
- Forwarding personal communication without the author's prior consent.
- Using text, graphics, sound or animation in messages or the creation of WEB pages without displaying a notice, crediting the original producer of the material, and stating how permission to use the material was obtained.
- Using the network for financial gain, for commercial activity, or for any illegal activity.
- Using the resources of LVUSD or any other LVUSD Internet connection, including a connection from a campus network or through dial-up, to attempt unauthorized access to any other computer system, or to go beyond the user's authorized access on LVUSD or any other District network. This includes attempting to log in through another person's account or access another person's files. It also includes any attempts to disrupt any computer system performance or destroy data on any computer system.
- Using the Internet for political and/or religious lobbying.
Violations of this policy should be reported immediately to the School Site Webmaster or District Webmaster. Contact information can be found on the main page of the School Web Site.